Thursday, January 10, 2008

January 10th, 8:44pm


So, today was finally a mellow work day. I put in a shift at my per diem job, in a health services office. It's a stark difference from my job in the emergency department. My patients here are remarkably healthy, with a minimum of (if any) complaints. I feel like shaking them and saying, "what do you mean you don't have all over body aches and fevers and chills and nausea and vomiting and headaches and chest pain and shortness of breath and a horrible peeling rash all for the past 3 years after twisting your ankle?"

The work environment is so different too... it's, um, what's the word... quiet! At the hospital, I'm bombarded by wailing drunk patients, screaming children, boisterous nurses, beeping monitors, buzzing alarms, phones ringing, blaring sirens... oy. Of course, for some reason, I like the crazy, hectic, chaotic environment. Yeah, but a slow day in a quiet clinic isn’t bad once in a while.
It’s a busy week, with four 12hr shifts at the hospital, and a day at the clinic today. I’m looking forward to tomorrow morning off—AND the weekend. Can anyone say “I’m going riding”?

No comments: