Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Maine 2016

Who says I don't know how to show a girl a good time?

Nothing says romance like waking up in a truck stop, so that's what we did...

We decided to leave for Maine after work on Friday, and as you can imagine, traffic heading north on the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend was going to be epic. We let traffic clear out a bit, left late, and then slept in a Maine Turnpike service area after getting a couple of hours of driving done. So this is the view that Jean and I woke up to on the morning of our 11-year anniversary. Romantic indeed! Needless to say, we didn't linger, and hit the road to get up to Mount Desert Island.

The remainder of the drive was, as one would hope, uneventful. We pulled in to Smuggler's Den campground sometime in the early afternoon on Saturday.


We set up camp had some dinner and overall had a lazy and relaxing day. Although, we did plot and plan our attack for the trails and carriage roads in Acadia National Park.

After a campfire, it was time to hunker down and get some sleep. Believe it or not, we didn't have the best night's sleep in the rest area (tractor trailer trucks are quite loud). Anyway, a good night's sleep was NOT in the cards for us though. My phone rang at about 2:30am and it was ADT, our home security system letting me know that my front door was open, and asking if I wanted them to call the police. Considering that we were a couple of hundred of miles away, my answer was "yes, please call the police." I waited, awake, for about an hour until I was able to hear from the police that everything was OK. Apparently, we hadn't shut our door all the way before leaving and it popped open. Now that we're home, that problem has been fixed, but I'm glad that my alarm system did what it was supposed to do. And, of course, I'm happy that there wasn't a real problem.

Needless to say, our Sunday was a wash because we were exhausted from another night of little sleep, and we had some rain...


More on Maine: http://beardedbiker.blogspot.com/2016/06/acadia-national-park-maine-2016.html


No comments: