Friday, July 3, 2009

Week of 6/27/09

Well, these weeks off certainly fly by! This past week was pretty much defined by rain, but I was able to get some stuff done and get a few good rides in.

I started my "off week" by taking the 'cross bike out on an exploration ride into West Peabody on Saturday. Sunday it was time to help a friend with some algebra and then dinner with the in-laws.

What else did I do with a full seven days off? I finished moving some rooms around in our house. Our old TV room is now Jean's "project" room and our TV/sofa/entertainment center is now in the attic/loft which actually works out very well. I think that's what did most of Monday, and then Jean and I took an hour long cruise on the bikes just looking at houses and neighborhoods in Salem.

I also disassembled and boxed up a bike that I have been testing for Dirt Rag. Did I like the bike? Read the magazine to find out... writing that bike test was also something I did this week, in addition to writing something for Cyclocross magazine.

The dogs got plenty of exercise--and a couple of baths as they were muddy and stinky. That of course translated into me having a muddy and stinky car.

I also spent some time deconstructing my backyard deck to evict a skunk (see post below) which was a good way for me to stick around the house while I was waiting for FedEx to arrive with my repaired/cleaned camera. My beloved Canon G10 was making noises, so instead of waiting for it to really break, I sent it in for evaluation. Canon replaced "the optical unit" and cleaned it. I was so lost without my camera! Fortunately, I was able to borrow one, but it just wasn't the same. My camera and I are reunited!

On Thursday, I hit the road early (and, in the rain, of course) and headed to VT for a meeting and some riding. I met with a guy who will probably carve a small parking area on our East Burke property for me. Then I hit the the trails to see how well Kingdom Trails was holding up with the rain. Sloppy is the best way to describe the ride (see pics). I did about 2hrs and my pace was so off because of the mud/SLICK roots and overall slop, that I headed back to the car after only 13 miles. I felt bad about riding on those conditions as I don't want to contribute to any deterioration of the trails. I was able to see some friends up there though, so all in all, it was a good trip. I hit traffic on the way home, but was still back at a decent time. As I've said before, a bad day on the trails is better than a good day at work (unless you were Dr. William Masters).

Friday I actually slept in a bit and then Jean and I headed out for a 30 mile road ride ending with lunch in Danvers. It was SO nice to be out on the bikes and to have it be dry with blue skies above.

All in all, a good week. Back to work tomorrow!

No comments: