Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Zion--Day 1

Way back in May, Jean and I went on vacation to one of our favorite spots--Zion National Park in Springdale, Utah. It seems so long ago, and, I guess, it was kind of. I'm usually a little bit better about going through my photos, but when I got back from this trip I was working, working, working, and if I wasn't working, I was working on lecture and presentation material for a summer class. Read More...

I taught medical bacteriology to physician assistant students at the University of New England in Portland, ME. It was a good course, and I'm *glad* that I did it, but it was waaaaaaay more work than I anticipated, and essentially every spare minute I had (while not working) was spent reading, working on presentation slides, lecture hand-outs and test questions. Yeah for teaching--especially in the summer. It made for some cranky days at the computer while my brain wanted to be on my bike, but alas, I had work to do. I couldn't have done it without Jean, who was subjected to my requests to help find gruesome images of syphilis (Treponema pallidum), bubonic plaque (Yersinia pestis), leprosy (Mycobacterium leprae) and so much more. 

Anyway, summer flew by, and my vacation photos have been waiting patiently in Lightroom for my attention.

Day one of our trip was, as always, a long travel day. Not as bad as some--flying to Costa Rica and driving hours through the thickest fog ever was a long day; flying to San Francisco and then driving several hours to Yosemite was a long travel day; by those standards, flying to Vegas and driving the few hours to Springdale, UT was a snap.

To make things even easier, we rented bikes rather than bringing our travel bikes, so packing and getting through the airport was a snap. We hate Vegas and essentially landed, grabbed some food, and hit the road--we wanted to make good time as we were also meeting up with our friends Mike and Jo who had driven over from AZ.

By the time we got to Springdale, I was pretty tired and didn't really want to take any pics, but Jean made take the shot at the top of this page as the sun was setting. 

Anyway, more to come...




No comments: